I have been reflecting upon my wife these days. Today is her birthday. She is 30 something. I do not need an anniversary to reflect upon her. I find my thoughts heading in her direction daily and many times throughout the day. I guess that is the grace of God in my life. I don’t know how all that works. I do think about her a lot.
What I do know is that she said, “YES” to my request. It was 7PM on top of the Empire State Building on December 21, 1996. That I remember. THAT I cannot forget. She said “YES”! How cool is that?
I told someone yesterday that when I look in the mirror I am reminded that I would never say yes to such a question. But she did. Apart from God’s active grace in my life there is nothing here to say yes to. But she did. I will, by the grace of God, never get over it. I don’t want to.
She said yes to:
- Sleeping beside me for the rest of our lives while listening to me snore
- Enduring my uber-dry sense of humor
- Washing over 40,000 pounds of my clothes, some of which is my underwear (I’m approximating)
- Preparing 33,492 meals (approximating)
- Bearing our three children
- Moving … again
- Laying sod in our yard … again
- Exchanging her “power job” for poopy diapers
- Wiping 5000 running noses
- Educating our kids for 39 years!
- Forgiving the biggest sinner I know … again … again … and again
And this is a very short list. There is much more! My wife is the closest approximation that I have for the Gospel. The Gospel is Christ dying for me. Why would he do that? I’m not worth it. It didn’t matter. He wanted to do it. He did it. I’ll never wane in gratitude for what Christ did for me. The undeserving got what he didn’t deserve. The Deserving got what he didn’t deserve because of me. How can I not be grateful to such unmerited kindness.
Lucia, in her humanness, is my closest gospel-approximation. I don’t deserve her kindness. She wants to give it to me. I don’t deserve her love. It doesn’t matter. It’s her joy to sacrifice, give, pursue, love and endure me.
Lucia is Christ-like! And to top it off her hair is turning gray. It is incredibly sexy.
Happy birthday, Love
The Boy is Happy!